Hi everyone, it’s Cindy here to tell you a little about the Halloween costumes I made for Millie and Walter this year. Even though it has been just over a year since I learned to crochet I guess I can no longer call myself a novice hooker. I feel that since I have started making up my own patterns and creating free form crochet I will have to classify myself as an intermediate hooker now.
With the big Blogville Halloween Ball approaching I wanted to make some fun costumes for the pups. When I started I didn’t even know that Millie would have a date, but I wanted something for her that would look great against her black fur.
After searching the internet I stumbled upon a pattern for a candy corn sweater sized for a cat and used that as my inspiration for Millie’s dress. I used the basic concept from that pattern for the body (orange portion) and upper body/neck area but had to just play it by feel for how big to make it. I really liked how it was just open in front and didn’t rely on leg holes. The above picture was taken prior to me redoing the upper white portion. It was a bit loose and hung down too low so I ripped some of it out and redid it with fewer rows.
For the lower portion I created a large yellow rectangle about three times the width I wanted the skirt to be. I anchored a couple strands of yarn at one end, wove them along the length of one edge and gathered it up . I used two rows of single crochet to attach the skirt to the bottom of the orange portion.
The entire dress is done in double crochet. I did it a bit loose so Millie’s black fur would show through a little.
This style of sweater for the dogs was very easy to put on and take off. While Millie might not look thrilled in her pictures it is mostly because she is not a big fan of modeling, but she really didn’t mind wearing the dress.
Now on to Walter’s Bumble Bee costume.
For Walter’s costume I had made the main body section a little bigger than I should have. To make it fit better I decided to weave some elastic around both the top and bottom edges of the main body to gather it up a bit. I think it worked out great as it gave the costume some added volume.
I even made a headband with ear holes (although they weren’t placed quite right) to attach some antenna to, but I didn’t make Walter wear it for very long. He really is a good boy and never really tried to shake them off, but you could tell he would rather not be wearing them.
I used part of a Red Heart pattern to make the antenna. The last part was to make the wings.
I did the wings totally free form working it with double crochet and then a single chain stitch repeated across each row. I made two halves that I joined down the center. I used single crochet to join the two halves and also worked pipe cleaners (chenille stems) along the seam. From there I continued around the outer edge with single crochet around pipe cleaners to give the wings some stability.
After I finished the wings I realized they were going to be a bit big for the costume. I also noticed from pictures of actual bumble bees that my concept was a bit off from reality, but if I folded the wings at the narrow section they more closely resembled real wings. I then added a few stitches to anchor the two halves together.
To attach the wings to the body I made a couple of chains out of the white yarn and tied them on. This way I can easily take them off to have a plain sweater for Walter to wear if he needed it for warmth. With Walter’s first winter with us approaching I figured this way he would have something to wear if needed.
Over all I’m real happy with how these turned out. If I ever need to make something for them to keep them warm this is the form I will use.
I’m linking up this post with